Friday, December 01, 2006

November 2006

Previous IssueNOVEMBER 2006Next Issue
Letter from the Editor
Name:
C.R. Veatch
Location:
Portland, OR

Since it rains every day we’ve been focusing a lot on the house this month and looking forward to a Christmas in a warmer and dryer Austin, TX.
Backwards Forewords
The foreword and index to all the chapters of my being.
Push Me, Pullman
Or how I learned to stop worrying and hopefully love the Northwest.
My Beards Blog
How Long? How fast? For how long?
Appropriately Enough
It was Halloween night among dancing transvestites that I found myself somewhat liking the new Justin Timberlake single. I don’t know, there’s something techno-George Michaels about it.
This Is An Intervention. MOVE!
Not having seen the sun in about two weeks it was easy to overlook the sharp wind. Not so easy to overlook was how much I had grown to despise Missouri. So flat. So boring. So ugly. So backwoods. So miserible. It is nice however to see the friends and/or loved ones that for some reason settled in such a wretched dwelling. Seriously people there are way more suitable places to live. - view photo
I'll Just Be Home Alone Playing With My Wee Wii
Gentleman, we’re on the brink of war, a console war. And for the first time in years I find myself aligned with Nintendo’s camp. Sony’s PS3 is going to be a graphics powerhouse. Even the ancient (by console standards) 360 will be capable of sharper visuals. But the Wii besides being damn fun to say (Weeeeee!) will have a unique play experience that not only hardcore gamers but even your grandmother could get into. Mark my words the “Wii-mote” will lay a virtual smack across the face of Microsoft and Sony and like the DS will reinvent innovative game play.
Home Improvement Month
November was Home Improvement month around our house hold. Funny story. We set through a free console for a fifty dollar gas card and ended up with all new windows. Uh yeah. Oh well. ‘Least they look good… and work, unlike our old ones. - view photo
Fine Dining With A View
Cinetopia is a movie theater that offers a fine dining experience. Imagine high quality digital video and surround sound in what feels like your own private screening room. Lounging in the cushiest leather chairs and ottomans. And dining on antipasto while enjoynig a wide variety of wines. I felt spoiled, full, and very happy with the whole experience. And best of all no kids!
Eat Like a Mongrel?
If you’ve ever gone to a restaurant and felt like something was a miss from the experience, like say a buffet of unrefrigerated raw meat that has set out for who knows how long then BD’s Mongolian BBQ is what you’ve been waiting for. As part of this unique venture you get to make your dish yourself (just like at home!) by piling meat in a salad bowl as high as you can balance and bringing it to a large communal griddle where it will be fried on the same surface as everyone else’s food resulting in a wonderful blending of flavors such as beef basted shrimp. In case you are missing the absurdity let me tell you about my own wonderful concoction. I call it the By Land, Sea and Air Attack Combo which includes lamb, salmon and duck. Finally three of my favorites in one dish. Yum!